DIY Summer School: IKEA Hack

Thursday, June 4, 2015


So we are officially in Summer School now! I was so excited to asked to be a part of this awesome series that Beth Barden from 'Design Post Interiors' came up with. This week we are all featuring our spin on things you can find at IKEA. We all LOVE IKEA right? Their prices, their easy and simple designs, but most of all I LOVE that you can hack almost anything from them. From something super easy to difficult you can type in " IKEA HACK" into Pinterest or Google and get an infinite amount of inspiration. I am not the craftiest person. You will notice through-out our DIY Summer School projects, mine will be pretty simple. But I love that the DIY's I come up with ANYONE can do.

Sooooooo let's get started. Class is officially in session!

I've been in the middle of a living room redo for the past couple of months (a full reveal post will be up soon). My parents gave me their leather sofa and it completely changed our living space which we weren't expecting so we had to get new dining room furniture and new living room furniture. We live in a small rental condo and our living room and dining "nook" area are pretty much one room. Since having all dark furniture and adding a dark leather sofa I decided we needed to add some white into the mix. Insert IKEA's Docksta Table and Vilmar Chair.

I loved the size and simple design and most of all how clean it looked. The great thing about these chairs are the legs are already unassembled so there is no extra work there. I hated the silver legs to begin with and knew I wanted to spray paint them brass/gold. So here's a break down of how I did it.

The tools I used were:
  • A drop cloth to protect my garage floor
  • Valspar premium primer
  • Valspar Metallic Gold
  • Valspar Lacquer
  • Sandpaper ideal for metal

I first layered all the legs out on the drop cloth and started lightly sanding each one. Nothing crazy just enough to get the shine off them. Then I sprayed them all with Primer, waited 5-10 mintues to dry and flipped it over to do the next side.


Once the primer was dry I started my first coat of Metallic Gold all over each leg. I waited about 15-30 minutes for them to dry and did a second coat. I then waited about 30-45 minutes or longer to make sure it was really dry before I flipped them over to do the other side. Repeated two coats of Metallic Gold and waited over night this time for them to dry completely.


The next day I touched up any spots I missed and then once it was dry I spray painted them with the Lacquer, mostly because I knew these chairs were going to get A LOT of use and didn't want the paint to chip. The Lacquer did make the color a little less shiny but I didn't mind that.


Once it was dry I assembled the legs to the tops of the chairs and sat back and admired my first IKEA hack!




I loved this look so much I decided to do it again to the legs of the Besta Burs Desk I used as an entry way table. Again because the legs were already unassembled it was no sweat to do!





And just like that with a few hours and about twenty extra dollars you have a whole new unique look that will have people oohing and ahhing. 

Want more IKEA hack inspiration???? Check out my fellow Summer School Teachers out on their blogs below!


We also want to see your DIY projects so link up below or if you don't have a blog then post your project on Instagram with the hashtag #diysummerschool. Can't wait to see all your IKEA hacks!
And tune in on June 18th for our next session, all about "Thrifted" DIY's.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow these look great! Great job!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Gold makes everything better! Seriously. I love that desk as a console- definitely keeping that in mind for future clients!

Unknown said...

Love the gold touches!! It adds such a glam factor! xoxo

Unknown said...

These look gorgeous!! Instantly so high-end. Wow, great job. I'm pinning so I can remember exactly which paint you used!

Lindsey Brooke Design said...

Thank you so much Summer!

Lindsey Brooke Design said...

Gold does make everything better! 😉

Lindsey Brooke Design said...

Thanks Claire! That's the look I was going for!

Lindsey Brooke Design said...

The paint was the key to the whole thing other brands were too "yellow" and didn't stick as good.

Kevin | Thou Swell said...

The gold makes such a big difference on such modern, simple pieces, I love it!

Lauren English said...

This is beautiful! The crisp white and gold looks so clean and fresh. I also love the few shelves and pictures hanging to the left of your table. I've been wanting to do shelves like that forever and yours look great! Thanks for sharing!

 
site design by designer blogs